POSITION TITLE: CARETAKER
At Knox-St. Paul’s United Church we are seeking a proactive, and flexible person who will provide a high level of custodial services and general maintenance of the church buildings, furnishings, and grounds. The Caretaker must have the talents and ability to take care of church property (worship space) and attend to the needs of the community in a friendly, efficient, and cooperative manner.
Flexible working hours within the part-time position of 10 hours per week . Work to be performed to accommodate the schedule of the church which may vary from week to week. Duties may include evenings and weekend work.
- Conduct a walk-through of the building and grounds a minimum of twice per week
- Gather and dispose of garbage and recycling at the curb for pick up early Tuesday morning
- Develop and execute an overall cleaning plan for the building complex
- Ensure washrooms in Osmond Hall are clean after each event and replace toilet paper, paper towel and soap when needed
- Ensure washroom upstairs is cleaned regularly and replace toilet paper and soap as needed
- Ensure rooms are set up for scheduled meetings and routine functions (i.e. Sunday School, Board meetings, coffee hour) as required
- Liaise with Church Administrator re. logistics for events on church calendar, to make sure that the Church facility is prepared for special meetings/events (seating, tables, fans etc)
- Update exterior sign for special events
- Return premises to a neat and orderly state following services and events
- Order/receive/pick up/store supplies and equipment as required and ensure security of inventory
- Record Enbridge gas meter reading monthly and submit to the Church Administrator
- Report any loss or damage to building(s) or equipment and initiate appropriate response to Board Chair or Church Administrator to emergencies (i.e., break-ins, floods etc).
- Attend and participate in staff meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned by the Board Chair or the Church Administrator
SPECIAL DUTIES RELATED TO USE OF THE SANCTARY
- Ensure Sanctuary and related areas are cleaned and set up for Sunday services, weddings, funerals, baptisms and other special functions
- Assist volunteers in the preparation of the Chancel and Sanctuary as dictated by the occasion and the season of the year. (i.e., changing of banners.)
SPECIAL DUTIES RELATED TO MAINTENANCE OF BUILDING
(in conjunction with Chair of Property or Board Chair)
- Responsible for sidewalk clearing of snow and ice
- Perform other building and grounds tasks not handled by a contract service and or church volunteers, such as weeding flower beds, garbage pickup outside
- Ensure chairs are maintained in a state of cleanliness and in good repair
- Change ceiling light bulbs and emergency lights, as required
- Monitor mechanical systems, such as the elevator, refrigerators, boiler(s), sump pumps, heating thermostat controls, ventilation and air conditioning units, hot water systems, kitchen equipment and piping systems (i.e., Gas, water, fire protection and sewer systems)
- Monitor security/communication system, fire alarms, telephone and outside surveillance
- Act as a liaison on routine contract maintenance and supply companies regarding grass cutting, snow removal, fire and safety etc. (i.e., Rangard Security, Marleau Mechanical, Safe and Dependable Inc. etc.) which are authorized by the Church Board
- Clean inside windows once a year
- Repair and paint, as required
Must work collaboratively with the Minister, Chair of the Board and Chair of Property and members of the church. Consult daily with the Church Administrator to ensure building and set-up needs are met.
Performance and weekly time sheets will be monitored by an assigned member from the Ministry and Personnel Committee.
A minimum of Grade 12 education or equivalent work experience. Ability to read and write fluent English. One to two years’ experience in cleaning and caring for a building is desirable. Has the training and experience to operate equipment required to perform his/her duties. Good knowledge of safe working procedures and an ability to maintain a safe work environment. Commitment to confidentiality. Must have a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a team environment. Police record check as required.
Wage: $20.00 per hour
Please forward applications to:
800 – 12th Street East
Applications must be received no later than October 23, 2023.